A brush with soft bristles typically used as part of the Wilbarger brushing protocol. Used by therapists or caregivers on adults or children with autism or sensory integration dysfunction to help relieve feelings of distress and provide reassurance.
- some relief from distress or discomfort when utilized correctly
- caregivers can utilize brushing protocol once trained
- small and portable, and therapeutic brushing can be applied in almost any setting
- need to be trained on the Wilbarger protocol prior to use to ensure the recipient’s distress is not increased by incorrect application
- brush wears out over time and needs to be replaced