Utensils with large built up handles are great for people with decreased grip strength. By having a larger surface area, there is more of the utensil to grab and thus easier to utilize. Great for people with arthritis, weakness or minimal hand tremors.
- allows people with decreased grip strength to be more independent with feeding
- may support some users that have hand tremors if utensils are weighted
- May still not be enough for users with very low grip strength or coordination
- Still need to bring food to your own mouth, so this is not supportive for users that cannot raise their upper extremities to their mouths
- weighted utensils may not be supportive enough for people with Parkinsons or those with hand tremors.